Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM with Ester-C® 180 tabletsSolgar
Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM with Ester-C® 180 tablets
Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM with Ester-C by Solgar is a combination of four nutrients that play a role in joint health.
Benefits at a Glance:
- Supports joint health
- Supports a healthy level of inflammation
- Helps maintain joint comfort
Glucosamine is a sugar found in cartilage, the substance that composes our joints. Glucosamine is used in the construction of glycosaminoglycans that help cushion the joints. Glucosamine also inhibits cartilage-damaging enzymes.1
The synthesis of glucosamine by the body’s chondrocytes may become deficient as we age. A meta-analysis of 18 randomized trials that evaluated the effects of glucosamine on knee osteoarthritis concluded that glucosamine is superior to a placebo to alleviate symptoms.2
Chondroitin sulfate is a glycosaminoglycan occurring in cartilage.3 It helps maintaining structural integrity and slows cartilage breakdown. A meta-analysis of 43 randomized trials involving patients with osteoarthritis that included a total of 4,962 participants treated with chondroitin and 4,148 control participants determined that chondroitin was associated with better pain relief than a placebo in short term studies.4
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring compound that is a sulfur donor. Because sulfur levels in the cartilage of people with arthritis are approximately one-third of levels occurring in those without the condition, MSM may be useful for this group of patients.5 Methylsulfonylmethane also helps support normal levels of inflammation.6
Ester-C is a form of vitamin C known as calcium ascorbate. When bound to minerals, the natural acidity of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) becomes neutralized, making it less likely to irritate the digestive tract. Vitamin C plays a role in the synthesis of collagen that makes up cartilage.7 In a randomized, double-blind trial, calcium ascorbate was superior to a placebo in the relief of pain in individuals with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.8
Together, these ingredients help support and maintain healthy joints.
- Piperno M et al. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000 May;8(3):207-12.
- Ogata T et al. Clin Rheumatol. 2018 Sep;37(9):2479-2487.
- Bishnoi M et al. Glycoconj J. 2016 Oct;33(5):693-705.
- Singh JA et al. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jan 28;1:CD005614.
- Rizzo R et al. J Exp Zool. 1995 Sep 1;273(1):82-6.
- Butawan M et al. Nutrients. 2017 Mar 16;9(3):290.
- Rowe DJ et al. J Periodontol. 1999 Sep;70(9):992-9.
- Jensen NH et al. Ugeskr Laeger. 2003 Jun 16;165(25):2563-6.
- 180 tablets