Endothelial Defense™ Pomegranate Plus, 60 softgelsLife Extension
The endothelial layer of your blood vessels plays an important role in regulating the health of your cardiovascular system—and with it, things like blood pressure, circulatory health and more. As you age, protecting the endothelium is critical for maintaining overall health—and Endothelial Defense™ Pomegranate Plus combines three nutrients that do just that.
Pomegranate seed, fruit and flower extracts
Pomegranate is a potent source of polyphenol extracts. These polyphenol compounds have valuable health benefits, including promoting healthy endothelial function, inhibiting oxidative stress, supporting metabolic and cardiovascular health and promoting a healthy inflammatory response.1-11 Endothelial Defense Pomegranate Plus contains standardized extracts from pomegranate flower and fruit, as well as extract of pomegranate seed oil.
Melon concentrate promotes antioxidant production
Extramel® is a concentrate of a special variety of a French melon. It encourages the body to produce superoxide dismutase (SOD), a potent inhibitor of oxidative stress.12,13 In pre-clinical models, consuming Extramel® melon concentrate increased SOD levels in various organ tissues.14
Extramel® appears to support overall quality of life as well. In not one, but two studies, subjects consuming 10 mg a day of this melon concentrate reported decreased feelings of general fatigue. Healthy stress response and increased feelings of well-being were reported as well.15,16
Clinically-studied compound from sweet orange peels
There is a compound derived from citrus peels called hesperetin. Hesperetin has been found to promote endothelial production of nitric oxide, which encourages vasodilation—a key requirements for healthy circulation. Cardiose® sweet orange peel extract is standardized to be 90% hesperetin-7-O-rutinoside 2S, an easily absorbed kind of hesperetin.17
In a randomized controlled trial, 500 mg of sweet orange peel extract produced a 20% improvement in flow-mediated dilation, an indicator of healthy endothelial function. This extract also promoted a healthy inflammatory response.18
- Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017;61(5).
- Phytother Res. 2017;31(11):1731-1738.
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture. 2017;97(6):1798-1804.
- Complementary therapies in clinical practice. 2016;22:44-50.
- Journal of medicinal food. 2015;18(9):941-949.
- Plant foods for human nutrition (Dordrecht, Netherlands). 2015;70(1):9-14.
- Plant foods for human nutrition (Dordrecht, Netherlands). 2012;67(4):351-357.
- lant foods for human nutrition (Dordrecht, Netherlands). 2012;67(3):309-314.
- Frontiers in pharmacology. 2018;9:544.
- Journal of nutritional science. 2012;1:e9.
- Journal of nutritional science. 2017;6:e39.
- Biochimica et biophysica acta. 2010;1804(2):245-262.
- Food Nutr Res. 2016;60:32729.
- Food Nutr Res. 2016;60:32729-32729.
- Nutrients. 2014;6(6):2348-2359.
- Nutr J. 2009;8:40.
- Agro Food Industry Hi Tech. 2015;26(4):6-10.
- Cordiart. Vol 12019:1-2.
WHAT IS THE ENDOTHEILIUM?
The endothelium is the single layer of cells that lines the inside walls of blood vessels. The endothelium cells are essentially a barrier between the flowing blood and the lining of the blood vessels throughout the entire body.
WHAT IS ITS FUNCTION?
Endothelial cells are involved in many aspects of keeping the heart, blood flow, and overall cardiovascular system healthy. Because blood flow is important for every organ and system throughout the body, the mechanisms that the endothelium perform are crucial for overall health. When they do not function properly, there is an increased risk for developing many harmful conditions. Some of the main and most important functions of the endothelium are:
- Acting as a blood barrier - the endothelium controls the passing of materials and white blood cells into and out of the bloodstream.
- Helping to keep down inflammation- when permeability of the blood vessels occur, inflammation takes place throughout the body which can lead to the development of many chronic disease. The endothelial layer helps to keep vessels from becoming too permeable
- Helping to make sure blood can clot at a healthy level
- Assisting in the formation of new blood vessels
- Helping to control the level of blood pressure by reducing hypertension
- Aiding in repairmen of damaged organs by bringing proper blood flow to the
PROTECTING THE ENDOTHEILIUM
When the endothelial does not function properly, vascular diseases (those that effect the heart) often take place; this is why it is paramount to maintain their health. Impaired endothelial function can lead to problems with cholesterol, blood pressure, and increase risk for serious coronary artery diseases, as well as conditions due to increased inflammation in the body such as diabetes and arthritis. The jobs of the endothelium are essential to many important parts of the body, therefore making sure that they operate correctly is extremely important.
- 60 softgels